- 300g beef fat-free mince
- 400g potatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 410g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cheese sauce
- 3 tbsp oil for frying
- 1 egg white
- 1 clove garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Peel potatoes (400 g) and put them in pot. Add boiling water and a teaspoon of salt to it, partly cover and let them boil for at least 15 minutes or until they are tender (not mushy). Whilst the potatoes are cooking, heat oil in pan and add mince (300 g) and onions (1/2 onion chopped). Fry until mince begins to brown.
- When mince and onions have browned, add garlic (1 clove) and ginger (1 tsp). Add the tinned tomatoes (410 g) and stir. At this point your potatoes should be done. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Add salt (1 tsp), ground black pepper (1/2 tsp) and mixed herbs (1 tsp) and stir. Taste to check if seasoning is to your preference. Adjust if need be. Cover pan and let the mince simmer for 10 minutes. Whilst the mince is simmering, take the boiled potatoes which must be cool now.
- When mince is ready, slice potatoes into rings. Take a casserole dish, put half the mince at the bottom. Add the potato slices and layer them neatly on top of the mince.
- Add half of the cheese sauce on top of the potato slices then add the rest of the mince (making a layer on top of the cheese sauce). Layer the rest of the potatoes on top of the mince.
- Whisk the egg white (1 egg white) until soft peaks between to form (about 3 minutes). Fold this whisked egg white into the cheese sauce and mix until it is well incorporated.
- Spread this last half of the cheese sauce now mixed with egg white on top pf the potatoes to form the last layer. Put in oven and bake at 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees F / Gas Mark 6 for 45 minutes or until it is golden brown.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
WooHa!! When done well, which is pretty easy to do, you will have yourself a great lunch or supper and those around you won’t thank you enough. A warm invitation to sign-up for ZimboKitchen Today my newsletter were I share new recipes. Remember to activate your subscription in your inbox once you sign-up. Thanks!