- 200g margarine/butter
- 200g castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g Self-raising flour
- 100g plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp bicaronate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 15g instant coffee
- 320ml milk
- 3/4 tsp red food colouring
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Cherry filling/tinned cherries
- 600ml fresh cream + 4 tbsp icing sugar
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- 2x20cm baking tins
- Electric mixer/wooden spoon
- Measuring scale
- Measuring jug
- Measuring spoons
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Table knife
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas Mark 4. Grease your baking tins. Get your ingredients together which are 200g margarine/butter; 200g castor sugar; 1 tsp vanilla essence; 250g Self-raising flour; 100g plain flour; 2 large eggs; 1/2 tsp bicaronate of soda; 1/2 tsp baking powder; 15g instant coffee; 320ml milk; 3/4 tsp red food colouring; 1/2 cup cocoa powder; Cherry filling/tinned cherries; 600ml fresh cream + 4 tbsp icing sugar.
2. Sift flours, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add the coffee and mix. Set aside
3. In a separate mixing bowl, put essence, sugar and margarine. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Take set aside sifted flours and add half of it together with half the milk to the light and fluffy margarine-sugar batter. Mix until just combined
6. Add the remaining half of the flour, milk and food colouring. Combine well.
7. Pour batter into prepared cake tins and level it out using a table knife. Bake in preheat oven for 30-40 min or until skewer comes
8. Allow cakes to cool before cutting each cake in half (thus getting the 4 layered cake)and sandwiching it with cherry filling and
whipped fresh cream.
Get my Cakes Vol 1 recipes eBook currently on limited time special promo – CLICK HERE