- 170g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 170g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter/ margarine
- 220g (1 3/4 cup) self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 300ml (1 1/4 cup) buttermilk
- 200g (1 cup) fresh strawberries (cubed)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
p.s if you’re in Zimbabwe, you can use lacto/amasi in place of buttermilk (that’s what I used and didn’t make my own) It’s actually not difficult to make your own though. One of ways to make your own buttermilk is to add 1-2tbps lemon juice to every 250ml fresh milk. Let it stand for about 5 minutes before using, and there you have it, your homemade buttermilk!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Get together all the ingredients you’ll need to use These are 170g (3/4 cup) caster sugar, 170g unsalted butter/ margarine (3/4 cup), 220g self raising flour (1 3/4 cup), 3 eggs, 300ml (1 1/4 cup) buttermilk, 200g (1 cup) fresh strawberries, 2 tsp vanilla essence. Wash and cut your fresh strawberries into cubes. Grease your baking tin. Put all the ingredients into the bowl save for buttermilk and strawberries. Beat until well combined and smooth (Do not over-mix)
- Add buttermilk and beat until it’s incorporated well and creates a drop-consistency batter. Add the cubed strawberries and fold them in gently. Again do not over mix.
- Pour batter into greased cake tin and level out the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Wait at least 15 minutes before attempting to take the cake out of the tin. Dust with a little icing sugar and enjoy your cake.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
It’s very important not to over-mix during the preparation otherwise you won’t get the right texture of the cake. You can have this as a dessert or with a cuppa, whichever tickles your fancy. If you wish to use icing, fresh cream icing would be the best for this kind of cake. Follow the link to see how I make mine. Go ahead and try it. Let me know how it goes once you do! All the best. P/s get on my mailing list here to get updates on new recipes.