- 300g okra
- 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- oil for frying
This was just a trial really. I thought to myself, “if I could coat matemba (kapenta) then why not try it for okra?” See because, many Zimbabweans prepare derere (okra) in the just about same manner, that is, leaving it all goey and sorry to say “snotty” 😀
Because of this, I didn’t really like derere growing up. After doing this experiment, and tasting it, it actually tasted kinda good! In fact, my kids enjoyed it and they asked for more and more and more! So here’s another way of making derere. Serve it with sadza and mince, that tastes superb. Hope you’ll enjoy it.
- Get your ingredients ready.
- Season your okra with salt. Add salt and pepper to flour and mix.
- Working in batches, dip okra slices in egg then in seasoned flour to coat it. Repeat until all the okra is coated. Heat oil in pan, add coated okra
- Cook until okra is turning golden brown. When it’s golden brown add your diced onion and fry until onion is just cooked (about 2 minutes) and there you have it, Coated okra fried with onion 🙂
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
That’s it. Keep in touch for daily recipe updates by liking us on ZimboKitchen Facebook. You may also leave a comment below. Thanks!