- 1 kg chicken portions
- 300 ml lacto/ buttermilk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Pure vegetable oil for shallow frying
If you’ve ever had Tandoori chicken then you will most certainly love this double coated chicken. Simplicity is one of the things I like to portray when cooking or baking, because, truth be told; cooking IS simple and so is baking too. Click here for the Tandoori Chicken (Zimbabwean style) recipe. For even more flavour for this recipe, you can leave it to marinade in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours! I don’t like oily, greasy food so I shallow fry my chicken here. This means using very little oil 🙂
- Get all that you’re going to use ready. Pour the lacto or buttermilk (300 ml) in a jug or bowl. Add garlic (3 cloves, minced) and ginger (1 tsp, minced). Add salt (1 tsp), sweet paprika (2 tsp) and ground cumin (1/2 tsp).
- Add white pepper (1/4 tsp) and give everything a good mix. Put your chicken portions in a marinating container and cut slits through then for the marinade to sip in easily. Pour the marinade over your chicken portions and seal the marinating container, refrigerate for 24 – 48hrs.
- After your marinating time. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas Mark 5. Put flour (2 cups plain flour) in a bowl and add curry powder (1 tsp) and mix. Dip each chicken piece in the seasoned flour then back into then marinade again and another second coat in the seasoned flour. (this is the double-coating). Repeat process for all chicken pieces. Heat oil in pan and shallow fry the meat over low heat.
- Fry until it turns a lovely golden brown colour. (Only turn the meat twice of thrice to avoid the coating from cracking off as well as for the meat to begin to cook through inside.) Brown both sides of the chicken pieces then put them in an oven proof dish. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the portions and let them finish off cooking in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes and you’re done!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
Enjoy this chicken with some crispy fries and a fresh salad. Or with whatsoever starch and vegetables your would like. I’d love to hear from you when you try this so please do remember to come and give me feedback. Are you receiving my recipes every weekday morning by email? If not don’t miss out on any new recipes sign-up here for my mailing list.