- 500g boerewors
- Hot dog rolls
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage (optional)
- 1/2 medium tomato, cut into rings
- 1/4 medium red onion, cut into rings
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- A pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato sauce, Mayonnaise, BBQ sauce (use according to preference)
You can also do the same only that we’re doing it on the stove top in a pan and not with charcoal on a braai stand. The results are just as splendid (given that you use a great sausage), the only missing thing would be that smoked effect on the sausage but it’s no big deal!
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- Frying pan
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Get your ingredients ready. These are 500g boerewors; Hot dog rolls; 1/2 cup shredded cabbage (optional); 1/2 medium tomato, cut into rings; 1/4 medium red onion, cut into rings
Lettuce leaves (optional); A pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper; Tomato sauce, Mayonnaise, BBQ sauce (use according to preference)
- Heat oil in pan to medium temperature. Add the sausage. Fry until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- Cut the sausage into 4 equal parts. Cut each piece in half vertically as shown in the picture. Taking care not to cut it all the way through. Flip the sausage and brown the side that was halved. You may do this in a side plate and return the meat to the pan or directly in the pan.
- Set up your assemble line. This will include your rolls, tomato, shredded cabbage/lettuce, red onion, the condiments (tomato sauce,/mayonnaise/mustard/bbq sauce) and of course your sausage. Cut a slit through the hot dog rolls halfway, again vertically.
- Use either lettuce or shredded cabbage as your first layer on the hot dog roll.
- Add the boerewors.
- Add the red onion.
- Add the tomato rings, salt and freshly ground black pepper.Add the tomato rings, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
Not only can you pack this for lunch, neatly wrapped in cling wrap but you can also have it as a light lunch or supper. Give it a go! Join my new recipe alert list via email right here.