- 1/4 cabbage (shredded)
- 1 large carrot (finely grated)
- 2 tbsp pineapples (diced into small chunks)
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1/2 medium sized apple (grated)
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
You find coleslaw at most Zimbabwean weddings (though most people opt not to eat it for obvious reasons- trying to avoid getting a running tummy!! 😀 ) However, If this salad is prepared well and refrigerated there would be no running tummies! So make sure you take great precaution when preparing this, especially in our blazing summertime heat.
Anyway, back to my moment of inspiration; I just thought ‘why not make this coleslaw in a different way with a fruity twist to it?’ So I did, and it tasted great. Try it too and let me know how it goes with you.
P.S When you grate your apple squeeze a bit of lemon juice in it to avoid oxidation which will cause the apple to discolor. If you do not have lemon juice just grate the apple when you’re about to add it to the rest of the ingredients in the bowl.
- With your ingredients ready, add your grated carrots to the cabbage. Mix well then add the chopped shallots.
- Add raisins, pineapple chunks and finally the apple. Mix up everything together.
- When everything’s mixed up well add mayonnaise.
- Mix well one last time and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour. Serve chilled with your favorite accompaniment. I had this with pork and chicken stir fry and rice and this was yummy in my tummy!!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
There you have your beautiful fruity coleslaw salad ready to go with your favorite meat dish or to be enjoyed on its own as a vegetarian dish. Please feel free to leave a comment how else you do yours or you think this can be done. With that, please take a moment to become my appreciated subscriber to my popular recipe newsletter – ZimboKitchen Today – which I send to your inbox whenever I have a new recipe to share. You may sign-up here and make sure to immediately verify your subscription in your inbox to start receiving new recipes covering cooking and baking. Please sign-up here. Thanks!