- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion (grated)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger (chopped)
This was a request from one of my readers for Barbecue sauce. It works well as a basting sauce or as an accompaniment. But warning: it’s got a LITTLE “chilli” kick to it, so if you’re not a fan of chilli or maybe if you’re going to have kids eating, you may want to separate their meat. Anyhow, my husband and his brother enjoyed it and they said it wasn’t that bad. Try it and let me know what YOU think! Or rather, what your taste buds think 😉 !
- Get your ingredients ready, which are grated onion (1/2 medium onion), sweet chilli sauce (2 tbsp), brown sugar (1/2 cup), tomato sauce (1 cup), chopped garlic (4 cloves), chopped ginger (1 tsp), water (1 cup), apple cider vinegar (1 tbsp) and black pepper (1 tsp). Put sugar, sweet chilli sauce, onions, garlic, ginger and tomato sauce in a pot.
- Add apple cider vinegar, ground black pepper and water. Cover pot, reduce heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes, stirring at regular intervals. And there you have it- your Barbecue sauce with a kick!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
Let me know how this recipe goes in your kitchen. I used it on pan-fried steak and it was just so nice according to feedback I got from those I prepared it for. In fact, I happen to have some close relations visiting and they just loved this ZimboKitchen hosting …kikikiki. Love more ZimboKitchen recipes? Please be my guest on my special newsletter ZimboKitchen Today – by signing-up here. Also feel welcome to leave a comment below.