- 4 beetroot bulbs
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp granulated brown sugar
- 45 ml olive oil/ pure vegetable oil
- 90 ml white grape vinegar/ any white vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Making this beetroot salad took me back to my childhood days. My mum used to make this for us often and it was delicious, we all enjoyed it. I made a few consultations with my older sister to make sure I was doing it just like momma used to! My hunch was correct and I was on the right track!
There are also some amazing health benefits to be gained from eating beetroot. Some of these include relieving constipation and keeping the stomach healthy, boosting your brain power, treating anaemia, keeping diabetes in check as well as helping to reduce blood pressure among other things. It’s also a great vegetable to include in the diet of an expecting mother as it is a great source for folic acid which the baby needs for the proper formation of it’s spinal chord.
Okay, let’s get to the recipe
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Measuring Jug
- Get your ingredients ready. These are 4 beetroot bulbs; 1/2 small onion, finely chopped; 1 large clove garlic, chopped; 3 tbsp granulated brown sugar; 45 ml olive oil/ pure vegetable oil; 90 ml white grape vinegar/ any white vinegar and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Put the beets in a pot. Add water.
- Partly close the pot. Bring to the boil until the beetroot is cooked. Add more water as you go. You will know that the beetroot is cooked when you can easily pierce them with a fork or table knife.
- When they are cooked. Allow the beets to completely cool down before preparing the salad.
- When they have cooled down, cut them into bite size cubes and put them in a bowl.
- Add your finely chopped onion to the beetroot.
- Take the rest of the remaining ingredients, i.e. brown sugar, olive oil, garlic, freshly ground black pepper and white grape vinegar. Give them a good stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Poor the salad dressing into the bowl with the beets and onion. Give a quick gentle stir until everything is just combined.
- Give a quick gentle stir until everything is just combined.
- Store the salad in a mason jar and refrigerate it for about 5 days. This is so that the salad may mature in taste (just as we do with the fruit cake or is done with wine! It is said that the older it is, the sweeter it gets!) This stage is however optional. If you want to eat your beet salad right away you may, it still tastes great, even just after preparing it!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
Serve your salad as a side dish to your main meal. Enjoy it with rice, potatoes or even pasta. Try it out and let me know how it goes. I’d love to hear from you. Sign-up for more recipe updates by email here