- 3 tbsp plain four (all-purpose)
- 3 tbsp magarine/butter
- 3 tbsp grated cheddar/Gouda cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- Hint of mixed spice
- 400ml fresh milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Melt butter ( 3 tbsp) in pot, add flour (3 tbsp) and stir. When flour is mixed well with melted margarine, add milk (400 ml) gradually whilst whisking at the same time. If sauce is too thick for your liking you may add more milk until you get the consistency you wish.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and let the sauce simmer for a minute (60 seconds). Remove from heat add cheese (3 tbsp) and set-aside. Break your egg and separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Take set-aside sauce with cheese and add the egg yolk.
- Add the hint of mixed spice, salt (1 tsp) and mix everything well until the cheese has melted and it’s combined well into the sauce. Note that after removing your sauce from the heat at step 2 do not return the pot to the heat as this may cause the egg york to get over-cooked and that will spoil your sauce. The heat that is already in the sauce is good enough to “cook” your egg yolk.
- Your cheese sauce is ready!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
That’s it!! What a treat for cheese lovers and those among us who simply appreciate cheese. Let me know how it goes in your kitchen by leaving a comment below. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!