- 350g Self-raising flour
- 150g Castor sugar
- 100g butter/margarine, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 375ml orange crush/ orange juice
- 1 tsp orange essence
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- Round baking tin (check my online store if you need one)
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring scale (check my online store if you need one)
- Measuring jug
- Wooden spoon
- Gather ingredients together (350g Self-raising flour; 150g Castor sugar; 100g butter/margarine, cubed; 3 eggs; 1 tsp baking powder; 3 tsp finely grated orange rind; 375ml orange crush/ orange juice and 1 tsp orange essence). Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Lightly grease your baking tin with margarine and lightly dust it with flour.
- Put sugar in bowl. Sift flour and baking powder into the bowl with sugar. Mix until evenly incorporated.
- Add cubed butter/margarine. Rub in until a course-fine crumbly mixture is formed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (in no particular order). These are your eggs, rind, essence and orange crush.juice.
- Mix with wooden spoon until just combined, taking care not to over-mix. Over-mixing will result in a tough textured cake.
- Pour your batter into the greased cake tin. Bake in preheat oven for 35-40 min or until skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack before attempting to cut it or take it out of the tin! Store in an airtight container.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
You may enjoy your cake as is or if you wish to decorate it you may use either butter cream icing or fresh cream icing. I decorated the top part only and used a fork to make the zig-zag decoration. Give it a go and let me know how it turns out.