- 120g soy mince
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small eggs
- Oil for frying
Soya mince doesn’t have to be dull and boring. It’s important to understand that soya needs a lot of help when it comes to flavour. On it’s own it’s very blunt so it needs a boost. If you play around with it and enhance the flavour, you’ll enjoy it. This is what we’re going to do here with these soya mince balls.
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- Medium bowl
- Frying pan
- Slotted spoon
- Wide dinner plate or platter
- Get the ingredients ready (120g soy mince; 1/2 onion, chopped; 3 cloves garlic, crushed; 1/2 tsp ginger, chopped; 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped; 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbsp plain flour; 4 tsp curry powder; 2 tsp paprika; 1 tsp mixed herbs; 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 2 small eggs and Oil for frying). Combine the flour and breadcrumbs and season with 2 tsp curry powder, salt and 1 tsp paprika. Mix and set aside.
- Mix together the remaining 1 tsp paprika, 2 tsp curry powder and 1 tsp mixed herbs in a bowl. Add hot water to this and mix. Put your soy mince in a bowl. Pour this seasoned water into the soy mince and let sit for about 10 minutes as the soy mince soaks in the flavour.
- Add the parsley, onion, garlic, ginger, seasoned flour and breadcrumb mixture.
- Combine gently then add the eggs.
- Mix well until evenly combined.
- Roll into soy mince balls and refrigerate for 30 minutes, giving more time for the flavours to infuse as well as for the mince balls to set.
- Heat oil in pan and add the mince balls. (NB: the oil should not be too hot, medium heat will be perfect)
- Fry until golden brown on either side and you’re done. Enjoy! (Avoid turning them around too much when cooking as they are fragile, you don’t want them to break up on you!)
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
You can serve this with rice, spaghetti or mashed potatoes. You may also alternatively bake these in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas Mark 5. If going for this option, drizzle some oil on them and on the oven tray. Bake until golden brown. Give it a go and leave a comment below when you do. Sign-up here for new recipe alerts by email.