- 300g steak mince
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 tsp mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 30ml beef stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pkt ready made puff pastry
- A little flour for dusting
- 2 tbsp Oil for frying
- 1 egg, beaten
These pies are simple to make. What makes them delicious is how you make your filling. If the filling is not tasting nice, be guaranteed that the pie won’t taste nice! These make for a great lunch box idea, a light lunch or even supper. As stated in the ingredients, I used ready made puff pastry for this recipe. Okay, so let’s get to it.
- Get the ingredients for your filling ready. Heat oil in pan (2 tbsp pure vegetable oil). Add onions (1/2 small onion, chopped), mint leaves (2 tsp, chopped) and curry powder (1 tsp). Slow fry them for about 3 minutes, on low heat, allowing the oil to get the minty-oniony flavour 🙂 . Increase heat to medium high. Add the carrots (1 large carrot, cubed) and allow them to cook for about 2 minutes. Add mince (300g steak mince) and salt (1/2 tsp). Fry until it browns. Add tomatoes (1 large, chopped). Cook for 2 minutes, add beef stock (50ml), reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Allow this filling to cool before putting in on the pastry.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas Mark 4. Take your ready-made pastry. Lightly flour your working area as well as your rolling pin. Roll out the pastry (1 pkt, ready-made pastry) gently, stretching it just a little more. Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Cut out circles from the rolled out pastry for your pies and place them on the lined baking sheet. You can do this using a scone cutter or a side plate. Take set aside, now cooled filling. Spoon it on the centre of your cut out circle, leaving about 1 cm around the edge. Dab the beaten egg (1 egg) around the edge of the circle then fold over the pie to seal it.
- Crimp the edges and use a fork to make the design. Use a sharp knife to create air vents. Brush the pies with the remaining beaten egg.
- Bake in preheat oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Your pies are ready. Enjoy!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
You can have the pies on their own or with some fries and a salad as I did here. Learn how to make crispy fries HERE. Do try it out and let me know how it goes. Are you getting my regular recipes updates? If not join over 1000 other home chefs by signing-up here.