- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp canned pineapple (cut into slices)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tsp corn flour
This is mostly an Asian accompaniment which is normally used for dishes such as sweet and sour chicken, sweet and sour pork and a few more. It can also be used as dip were you can have it with finger foods such as Samosas, chicken nuggets or even spring rolls. It’s a pretty quick recipe and in 10 minutes you will be done.
- Get your ingredients ready. In a sauce pan add pineapple pieces, pine apple juice and sugar.
- Add tomato sauce, vinegar, water, garlic and ginger.
- Add soy sauce, stir all the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved. Close your pot and bring to the boil for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes add honey and stir.
- Blend your sauce. Alternatively, you may use a sieve. Take your corn flour and add a little water to make a thick paste. Add paste to the sauce and stir. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes your sauce should be ready to be served.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
As you can probably tell, this is a pretty straight forward way to produce your home-made sweet and sour sauce. I used this sauce for my sweet and sour pork. It produced two cups of the sauce. It was tasty it reminded me of my sweet and sour Chinese take-aways. Leave me a comment below about what you think of this recipe. Have you already joined ZimboKitchen Today so you receive recipes by email? If not please be my special guest by signing-up here. Tuck!