- 2 kg potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- 1 tbsp margarine
Mashed potatoes only taste good when they are lump-free. There’s nothing as boring as eating food that has lumps in it when it’s supposed to be smooth. It’s like eating sadza rine mapundu (pap with lumps) or porridge rehufu rine mapundu (mealie-meal porridge with lumps). The list is endless but the results are the same- no one will enjoy the meal. So this is a quick recipe on how to make mashed potato which comes out smooth and lump-free.
- Gather ingredients together and wash potatoes.
- After washing potatoes, peel them and put them in a pot and rinse. Add fresh water and make sure it covers the potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into cubes and rinse one more time. Add water, oil and cover til potatoes are cooked.
- Use spoon to check if potatoes are done. They should be breaking up easily. Drain excess water and leave just a little, return pot to stove and reduce heat. Add milk and begin mashing the potatoes.
- Add margarine and mash. Add salt and pepper and mash. Serve with mince or whatever tickles your fancy! For variation you can also add grated cheese or fresh cream to the potato mash.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions