- 1 whole chicken
- 250g oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 kg potatoes
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- Pyrex/ Heat-proof dish
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Frying pan
- Medium bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Get your ingredients ready. These include 1 whole chicken; 250g oyster mushrooms, chopped; 1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped; 100g breadcrumbs; 1/4 tsp salt; 1/4 tsp curry powder; pinch ground black pepper; 1 egg; 1 tbsp pure vegetable oil and 1 kg potatoes.
- Heat oil in pan.Add onion and garlic. Fry for about 2 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Season breadcrumbs with salt, ground black pepper and curry powder. When the mushroom and onion have cooled down, put them in a bowl. Add seasoned breadcrumbs, egg and mixed herbs. Give a good mix until combined.
- Put your chicken in your pyrex/heat proof dish. Spoon the mushroom stuffing into the cavity of the chicken.
- Tie the drumsticks together using draw string, closing the cavity with the stuffing. This is so that the stuffing does not come out during the cooking as the chicken responds to the heat. Rub some olive/ pure vegetable oil on the chicken and sprinkle some salt. Peel and cut your potatoes into quarters and layer them around the chicken. Also drizzle some oil on them which will aid in giving that golden brown colour. Grill at 180 degrees Celsius until juices run clear when the chicken is pierced and it has turned a lovely golden brown colour. Also turn the chicken half way through the cooking in order for the other side to be browned and crispy.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
That’s all there is to it, you can dig in and enjoy your meal. The stuffing can be put on the chicken pieces when you carve it. The flavours are amazing! Do give it a go and let me know how it goes in your kitchen. Sign-up for new recipe alerts via email here