- 3/4 punnet okra
- 400g chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1/2 large green pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 large red pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 large yellow pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp granulated brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 60ml white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
My friend from Tanzania told me of how they prepare their okra there, well at least one of the ways they do so. She said they stew the okra whilst it’s whole and enjoy it with one’s preferred starch. I decided to try it out with my little twist on it, giving it a rustic feel/touch. Instead of stewing the okra, I stir-fried it with some vegetables and chicken breast. It was fab!! Hopefully those who don’t like the traditional okra version will like this one. Let’s get to it.
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- Frying pan
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Get all your ingredients ready. These are 3/4 punnet okra; 400g chicken breast, cut into strips; 1/2 large green pepper, cut into julienne strips; 1/2 large red pepper, cut into julienne strips; 1/2 large yellow pepper, cut into julienne strips; 4 cloves garlic, chopped; 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped; 3 tbsp granulated brown sugar; 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika, 60ml white wine vinegar and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper Give the okra a good scrub under running water.
- In a medium bowl, combine together the garlic, parsley, brown sugar, salt, ground black pepper and paprika
- Add the white wine vinegar and give a quick stir.
- Put the chicken breast in the bowl with the marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to sip into the meat.
- After 30 minutes, heat oil in pan and fry the chicken breasts.
- Fry until chicken breasts begin to brown and remove from heat, put in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the okra to the same pan, fry for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onions and peppers. Stir and allow to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Take set aside cooked chicken breast and add this to the pan. Combine everything gently and your meal is ready. Enjoy!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
You can serve this with rice or mashed potatoes. Go ahead and try it out, let me know how you find it! Come along on my mailing list and get all new recipe alerts…sign-up here.