- 50 g Pascall dark chocolate
- 80 g cocoa powder
- 430 ml boiling water
- 340 g plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225 g castor sugar
- 200 g old fashioned brown sugar
- 230 g mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- For the frosting (icing)
- 300 g Pascall dark chocolate, chopped (simply get 3x100g Pascall chocolate slabs)
- 150 g butter, at room temperature
- 150 g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 Mixing bowls
- 2 x 9 inch baking tins
- Wooden spoon/Electric hand-held mixer
- Measuring scale
- Measuring jug
- Get your ingredients together. These include;50 g Pascall dark chocolate
80 g cocoa powder
430 ml boiling water
340 g plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
1 ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
225 g castor sugar
200 g old fashioned brown sugar
230 g mayonnaise
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla essenceFor the frosting (icing)
300 g Pascall dark chocolate, chopped (simply get 3x100g Pascall chocolate slabs)
150 g butter, at room temperature
150 g icing sugar, sifted
2 tsp vanilla essence
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease your baking tins and again lightly dust them with flour. We’re doing this so the cake doesn’t stick to the baking tin. Set aside.
- Put the cocoa powder and Pascall chocolate in a bowl. Pour the boil water and stir until the chocolate has melted and there are no lumps. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into another mixing bowl and again set aside.
- Put the sugar into the 3rd mixing bowl. Add the mayonnaise and beat until well combined. Add the eggs one at a time. Beating well after each addition.
- In alternating doses, add the flour and the melted chocolate. Take the set aside bowl with sifted flour. “Divide using a spoon or knife” it into 4 equal parts. Add the first quarter to the cake batter and mix until just incorporated.
- Take the melted chocolate and add a third of it to the batter. Mix also until well incorporated. Repeat process until the flour and chocolate are finished.
- When the batter is ready. Take set aside prepared baking tins. Pour the batter evenly into the two baking tins.
- Bake in preheat oven for 30-35 min or until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool before attempting to decorate the cake.
- To prepare the icing; put some water in a sauce pan and place on stove top. Bring the water to a boil. Remove lid and keep saucepan on stove.
- Put the chopped Pascall dark chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over the open saucepan. Stir until chocolate melts.
- Carefully remove from over the saucepan and set aside, allowing it to cool. Stir the melted chocolate occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter using an electric hand/stand mixer or a wooden spoon until light and smooth.Add the sifted icing sugar and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla essence and beat again until blended in.Finally, add the melted chocolate and beat until incorporated and no white streaks show. Your Pascall chocolate icing is ready!
NB- It’s best to use a spatula when adding the melted chocolate to the icing as it scraps almost every last bit out easily. If you don’t have a spatula, you can still use a wooden spoon or table knife.
Give it a go and let me know how you find it.