- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups Self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup pure vegetable oil
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Initially, I had set out to do a chocolate cake then as I had just finished mixing the batter, I thought to myself “why not add some bananas and make this a banana and chocolate cake?” So that’s exactly what I ended up doing and those whom I served this cake enjoyed it, and so did I!! Don’t worry if the cake looks as though it’s too moist of if the mixture becomes runny… that’s how it’s supposed to be 🙂
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 Degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas Mark 6. Grease a 9 inch baking tin and line it with greaseproof paper and grease that too.
- Put sugar in bowl, add eggs, vanilla essence and oil.
- Mix well then add milk. Mix well then with your sieve on top of the bowl and pour the flour onto the sieve.
- Add cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate soda to the flour on the sieve then sift.
- With the sifted ingredients added to the bowl that has the batter, mix well. Add hot water then switch to using a whisk and whisk, breaking any lumps that may have formed.
- Peel the bananas then slice them up. Mash the bananas then fold them into the chocolate cake batter and whisk one final time.
- With your chocolate banana cake batter ready, pour it into your prepared cake tin and bake for 55 minutes or until done (when a skewer or toothpick comes out clean after being inserted in the cake.) Enjoy with a cuppa or as a dessert with ice-cream or custard.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
This is really a simple and straight forward chocolate and banana cake. You can serve it with custard for dessert or with a cup of tea or coffee on a rainy day or cold day, for that matter, it’s really up to you. Would you please join us on our regular newsletter – ZimboKitchen Today. I will send to your inbox my latest recipes. Be sure to confirm your subscription in your inbox as soon as you subscribe. Thanks very much and by the way I would also love to here from you below in comment box about this recipe. Thanks!