- 500 g chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can tinned pineapples in syrup
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (or any other herb of your choice)
- 1 egg
- 75 ml water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- extra cornflour and water
- 1/4 cup oil for frying
Although this dish is certainly not Zimbabwean, I enjoy making it. It reminds me of the first “days” when my hubby and I were dating 🙂 We’d have Chinese food every now and then.
There are obviously many ways to prepare this dish and this is one of them :D. My husband and daughters loved it. Do give it a go and let me know how it goes with you. This can be served with rice, potatoes or pasta.
- Slotted spoon
- Frying pan
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Measuring jug
- Get your ingredients together. These include; 500 g chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1 can tinned pineapples in syrup
2 carrots, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp cornflour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh thyme (or any other herb of your choice)
75 ml water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
extra cornflour and water
1/4 cup oil for frying
- Separate the pineapple pieces from the syrup and cut them further into bite-size pieces. Reserve the juice for use later.
- Put your cornflour, plain flour, salt, herbs, egg and water into a bowl. Give a quick mix until well combined.
- Add the bite-size chicken pieces. Ensure that each piece is coated well. Heat oil in pan.
- Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown on both sides. (We’re frying it in batches to avoid over-crowding the pan which leads to the chicken cooking unevenly).
- When cooked, removed from pan using slotted spoon and set aside. Drain excess oil from pan, leaving about 1 tbsp.
- Add the carrots and garlic to the same pan. Fry for 2 min. Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Pineapple syrup, brown sugar and water. Give a quick stir and simmer for about 3 min.
- Mix 1/2 tbsp cornflour with a little water to make a paste. Pour this mixture into the pan. Allow to simmer for another 3 min, stirring regularly.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the pineapple pieces. Stir and ensure every piece of chicken is coated evenly with the sauce. Enjoy!