- 3 cups sugar beans
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tomato chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- Half green pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs tomato sauce
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup oil for frying
- Chicken or beef bones or skin
The trick with sugar beans, though, is in the preparation of the soup. This makes a whole world of a difference.
To cut on cooking time, soak beans overnight or if you forget to do so as I did on the day of doing this recipe soak them in boiling water for a minimum of 2 hours. You will achieve more or less the same results as soaking them overnight. You may buy beef bones or de-skin your chicken and use that for flavoring your beans. Using beef bones will probably be the best as chicken skin is high in cholesterol.
- Gather ingredients together. Drain and rinse your soaked sugar beans. Put them in pot and add chicken skin or beef bones. Add salt. Add some water which just covers the beans and boil until water is finished. When water is finished add beef stock and boil until the stock is finished. Check for tenderness of the beans and keep adding water until they are as soft as you like them.
- When the beans are done to your liking remove from pot and put in a bowl. Heat oil in the same pot that had the beans. Add carrots and garlic and stir until carrots are almost tender. Return beans to the pot and stir. Add onions and stir.
- Add curry powder and stir. Add tomatoes and tomato paste then stir and give time for them to cook (about 2min). Add green pepper and stir.
- Add tomato sauce, mixed herbs, black pepper and stir.
- Your sugar beans are ready to be served with your favorite starch such as Sadza, rice or chingwa (bread)
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
That’s it. Keep in touch for daily recipe updates by liking us on ZimboKitchen Facebook. You may also leave a comment below. Thanks!