- 4 apples
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup plain flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- Freshly squeezed juice of half a lemon
- Ready-rolled pastry
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas Mark 6. Gather ingredients together.
- Put sugar in bowl, add flour, mixed spice and raisins.
- Stir and set aside. Wash apples and set aside. Grate a teaspoon of lemon rind and squeeze the juice of half a lemon.
- Put the lemon rind and lemon juice in a bowl. Peel apples and core them then slice them into crescent-shaped slices.
- Add apple slices to bowl with lemon rind and lemon juice then mix well. Take set aside bowl of dry ingredients and add the apple slices to them and mix well.
- Add carrots to the apple and dry ingredients bowl and mix. Grease pie dish, roll out pastry and lay it into the pie dish.
- Roll out the other pastry ball and cut long strips. Pour apple and carrot mixture into prepared pie dish. Layer the pastry strips onto the pie in a math book style.
- After you’ve finished layering, cut off excess pastry, brush with egg wash, sprinkle some sugar and put in oven to bake. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- When done, put it on cooling rack to allow it to cool. Serve with ice-cream or whipped cream.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
Enjoy!. Remember you will never miss a trendy Zimbabwean recipe when you like us on ZimboKitchen Facebook. You may also leave a comment below. Thanks!