- 200g margarine
- 200g brown sugar
- 400g cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 3 eggs
This recipe was handed down to me from my mother when I was 10 years old. Back then I made it together with her and the recipe has since stuck with me. I have made it for so many people who have all brought back the same report “it’s very delicious, how did you make it?“. So am now sharing this recipe with you for you to also try and get the same feedback. You can literally use this recipe for any occasion from birthdays, to anniversaries or even a tea party. I hope you and the ones you bake for will also like it!
- Get your ingredients ready. These include; 200g margarine
200g brown sugar
400g cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1 tsp salt
1 cup fresh milk
Preheat oven to 160 Degrees Celsius. Grease a 9 inch cake tin and dust it lightly with flour then set-aside.
- Sift the dry ingredients (i.e. flour baking powder and salt) into a bowl and set aside.
- Take another mixing bowl and put margarine. Add sugar to the margarine and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and three tablespoons of flour after each egg and mix. Repeat process until all the eggs are finished.
- Add the rest of the flour bit-by-bit simultaneously with the milk until both flour and milk are finished. Check consistency.
- Remove electric hand mixer and replace with wooden spoon then add vanilla essence. Mix until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into set-aside greased cake tin. Bake in preheat oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes use skewer to test if cake is ready. Skewer should come out clean when inserted into the cake. Put on cooling rack. Enjoy when cool!
- Decorate the cake with butter cream icing as I did here or fresh cream icing, whatever tickles your fancy.
Pictorial Detailed Instruction
That’s it. Keep in touch for daily recipe updates by liking us on ZimboKitchen Facebook. You may also leave a comment below. Thanks!