Trying to make your meat go further? Want some beef stroganoff without breaking the bank? Well, here’s a thrifty recipe for you. Bulk up your meat by adding vegetables. We’ll substitute the wine and fresh cream with ingredients that are purse friendly, all without compromising the taste of this meal. Serve with your preferred starch from potatoes and rice to pasta and more vegetables of course!
- Large Pot
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Wooden soon
- Measuring jug
- Get your ingredients together. These include; 300 g beef, cut into strips
1 small potato, cubed
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
Peppers or pimentos, cut into strips
Water/Beef stock (enough to just cover your meat)
3 tbsp cream of mushroom soup powder
300 ml fresh milk
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in pot. Add beef strips in batches, add garlic, season with salt and fry until browned. (Do no crowd the pot at this time, as it will lead to the beef not browning properly).
- Add water/ beef stock if using and simmer gently until meat is tender and cooked through and water is finished.
- Add potatoes and allow them to cook for about 5-10 min. Add the peppers and allow to cook for 2 min.
- Mix together the soup powder and milk. Pour into pot and stir. Allow to simmer on low heat for 5 min. If gravy is too thick for your liking, add more milk and simmer.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Enjoy!