- Bread (8 slices)
- Butter/ Margarine to spread
- Jam to spread
- 1 1/2 cups fresh milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins or sultanas (optional)
This is something that my mum used to make for us when we were growing up. Yes, bread can be turned into such a tasty dessert!! It’s pretty easy to do and you’ll love the results. Try it and let me know how it went down 🙂
- With your ingredients ready; castor sugar (1/2 cup), raisins/ sultanas which are optional (1/3 cup), eggs (3 large eggs) and bread (8 slices), trim off the crust on your slices of bread. Spread butter/ margarine on half the slices of bread on both sides. And do the same for the remaining slices of bread, using jam this time.
- Cut each slice of bread into 4 triangles then lay them into a casserole dish alternating a triangle with margarine and a triangle with jam until all the bread is finished then set aside.
- Break eggs in separate bowl, add vanilla essence (2 tsp), sugar and milk (1 & 1/2 cups).
- Whisk it all up then pour into a graduated measuring jug. Take set aside casserole dish and pour half of this mixture over the bread. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour the remaining egg and sugar mixture into a bowl and whisk again. Add the sultanas or raisins and give another quick whisk.
- Pour this mixture over the bread in the casserole dish and again stand for another 10 minutes. Bake for 50 minutes or until a lovely golden brown colour forms. Your pudding is ready. You may serve it warm or cold. With with custard, ice-cream or whipped fresh cream.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
This is a lovely dessert idea. Ice cream is just one variation for serving. As mentioned, custard and whipped fresh cream will also work just fine. This particular recipe serves 6 which is a good number when hosting a few friends over or just having it as a family. I hope you are not missing out on any of my recipes which I send out by email via ZimboKitchen Today – my popular newsletter. You may sign-up here and ensure you confirm the subscription in your email inbox immediately to start receiving the recipes. Thanks, I appreciate any comments you might have below in the comment box.