- 4 ripe plums
- 6 litchis
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tbsp pure honey
- 50ml water
- Vanilla Ice cream
This was yet another one of those times in the kitchen where you will be filled with uncertainty. I really wasn’t too sure how this was going to taste, but that’s what cooking is all about – isn’t it?. Discovering new flavors and foods that marry. This is a pretty simple dessert for those days where you just want a little sweetness in your mouth.
These plums and litchis are mostly summer time fruits here in Zimbabwe. I bought mine at Mbare musika but they are also readily available in most of the supermarkets across the country. If you are in Harare there is also a farmers’ market that is run at Arundel Village every first Saturday of each month. You can also get them there while in season together with other good farm produce. Let’s get to it!
- Wash plums and peel your litchis.
- Cut plums into quarters and discard the seeds. Put plum quarters in a pot, add sugar, water and close pot and bring it to the boil for 5 minutes. In the meantime, de-seed the litchis.
- After 5 minutes add honey, litchis, stir and close the the pot. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes stir one more time then set-aside giving it time to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- You may serve this with ice cream, custard or vanilla cake.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
This combination with ice cream is really nice. It’s a dessert worth trying. Just follow the directions above to the letter and you will be home and sweet. Even my little girl who somewhat lacks a sweet tooth couldn’t resist this one this time around! If you like this recipe please leave me a comment below or your LIKE on my Facebook page. Your LIKE is really special to me. Thanks!