- 3 cups long grain rice
- 300g chicken pieces
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup green beans
- 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- oil for frying
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 500 ml water or chicken stock
- Get your ingredients ready.
- De-skin and de-bone chicken then cut it into bite-sized cubes. Add salt, pepper and mix.
- Add ground cumin and mix. Heat oil in pan, add chicken to pan and cook until it browns.
- When chicken has browned up, put it in separate pot, add water, cover and let is simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the meat is simmering, add onions to the pan which you browned the chicken. Add green pepper and stir. Add garlic and ginger and stir.
- Add rice and stir. Add tomato paste and, again, stir.
- Add tomatoes, stir and give them time to cook (2 minutes). When tomatoes are done return chicken and it’s stock to pan.
- Add green beans, carrots and cabbage.
- Stir and add salt, black pepper and mixed herbs.
- Stir once again, bring it to the boil, reduce heat and partially cover pot and let it simmer until the rice is done and all the water is finished. Your jollof rice is ready. Enjoy!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
Enjoy!. This is really a tasty dish. Remember you will never miss a trendy Zimbabwean recipe when you like us on ZimboKitchen Facebook. You may also leave a comment below. Thanks!