- 1.5 kg potatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 x 425g Royal Ocean Pilchards in Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 1 punnet oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 punnet fresh peas, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 60 ml fresh milk
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Medium sized pot x2
- Oven proof casserole dish
- Wooden spoon
- Potato masher
- Get your ingredients together. These include;1.5 kg potatoes
2 tsp salt
2 x 425g Royal Ocean Pilchards in Chilli Sauce
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, cubed
1 punnet oyster mushrooms, chopped
1 punnet fresh peas, chopped
1 small eggplant, cubed
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp butter
60 ml fresh milk
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Partly close pot and boil until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, start working on the pie filling. Heat oil in pot. Add garlic and ginger. Fry for a minute.
- Add the onion and curry powder. Fry for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and fry for another 2 min.
- Add the mushroom and allow to cook for 5 min. Add peas, give a quick stir and add the eggplant.
- Add salt, pepper and soy sauce. Stir until everything is combined. Close pot and reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 10 min or until the eggplant is cooked through and tender. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Pour the pilchards chilli sauce only into the vegetables. Simmer for another 2 min and set aside. (Reserve the fish for the casserole, don’t pour it into the pot with vegetables else it could crumble and break up)
- When the potatoes are tender, drain any excess water, add 1 tsp salt, butter and milk. Mash the potatoes to your preferred consistency.
- Layer the vegetables first in the casserole dish. Lay the pilchards one next to the other on top of the vegetables. Finally, spread the mashed potatoes on top of the pilchards.
- Make a wave design on the potatoes using a fork. Bake in oven @ 180 degrees Celsius or until the mash is a golden brown colour. Enjoy!