- 3 cups rice
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp oil
This Spiced Rice dish will introduce a scrumptious method of doing your rice next time around. The truth is rice is one of those dishes which many of us have tended to prepare very often following the all too familiar default method of preparation over and over again. This of course leads to a monotonous outcome which a number of us have been living with since childhood. The standard plain white rice is memorable and nostalgic yes, if you want to put it that way, but a little flavor to your rice will do no harm at all for a change.
Although “spiced”, this is a family friendly recipe. The idea I had with this dish was to make it accessible to all. This way, I hoped even kids would enjoy some break from the good old plain rice we are all used to. So no worries here, this will be safe for everyone. In as much as the default measurements that I am giving in this recipe are family friendly, feel free to tweak up or down the curry powder as desired to play around with the heat. The power is in your hands.
Perfect for lunch or supper with preferred protein, gravy and vegetables.
You may use any rice type of your preference.(e.g, white, thai, brown, parboiled, basmati, etc). Vegetables of your choice may also be added at the beginning. Options may include but are not limited to peas, peppers or pimentos, green beans, mushroom etc). If you’d like an extra kick of heat to the rice you may add 1 tsp of chili powder and increase the curry powder to 1 tsp and use the hot version not mild.
Finally, take care that the same cup you use for measuring your rice should be the same you use for measuring your water.
- Get your ingredients together. Put the oil, onion, carrot, garlic, turmeric, curry and paprika into a pot. Slowly heat it up, stirring regularly until fragrant.
- Increase heat and add the rice. Stir until it’s evenly coated. Add the tomato sauce and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Add the boiling water and stir. Close pot and bring to the boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer until the water cannot be seen
- Reduce the heat further to the lowest until the rice is cooked. Fluff up with a fork. Enjoy!