- 600g tender beef
- 340ml coca cola
- 1/2 small onion, diced into rings
- 50ml pure vegetable oil
- Freshly squeezed Lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried basil flakes
- For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp dried basil flakes
I was flipping the channels, looking for something to watch when I got to one of my favorite t.v shows; Chopped! For those who are not familiar with it, it’s a cooking show where contestants are given mystery ingredients with which they need to prepare a meal at a set time. It was already half way through the second round and two of the mystery ingredients were Coca Cola and tenderloin steak. Seeing as it was already half way through I didn’t quite see what else they put in the recipe.
So this is how the inspiration for this recipe came about. I just decided to go with my gut and put up together some ingredients which I thought would work well with the steak. You get better flavour if you marinate the meat overnight. I proceeded to make a sauce from the left over marinade and it just tied everything together. It was delicious and plates where wiped clean at the dinner table 🙂
- Get the ingredients of the marinade ready as well as your meat (600g tender beef, preferably steak ). Put the oil and all the rest of the ingredients (340ml coca cola
1/2 small onion, diced into rings, 50ml pure vegetable oil, Freshly squeezed Lemon juice from 1 lemon, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp dried basil flakes )into a jug or bowl. Mix gently with a whisk. (Just to combine the ingredients) There will be a slight effervescent reaction between the salt and the coke but don’t be alarmed.
- Pour the marinade over the meat and make sure each piece is covered with it. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight, I did 18 hours.
- Heat oil in pan, add the steak pieces (without the marinade) and fry until browned and well done if that’s how you like it. Fish out the onions using a slotted spoon or anything that will work for you. Saute the onions and mix with the meat. Drizzle the cola sauce over the cooked steak and enjoy with your preferred starch.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
To make the cola sauce, pour the marinade into the pan that you used to fry the meat . Allow it to boil for about 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce (1 tbsp), basil (1 tsp dried basil flakes) then cornflour (1 tbsp) whilst whisking briskly to avoid lumps forming. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. That’s it! Enjoy 🙂 Give it a go and let me know how it goes in your kitchen. If you haven’t done so already, I invite you to sign-up here for my recipe updates via email.