- 150g butter/margarine
- 150g granulated white sugar
- 300g self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 60ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 100ml fresh milk
Just a note to remind this is an egg free recipe. Eggs play a special role of bringing all the ingredients together when baking. This explains the contours you see on the cupcakes. That’s the give and take associated with skipping eggs in the recipe.
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- Cupcake Liners
- 12-hole muffin pan
- Hand mixer/ Electric mixer/ Wooden spoon
- Kitchen scale
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas Mark 4/ 150 degrees in fan assisted oven.
- Get together all the ingredients you’re going to use. Insert the cupcake liners into the muffin pan holes.
- Beat butter/margarine (150g) and sugar (150g) until light and fluffy. Add custard powder (2 tbsp). Mix until combined. Add apple cider vinegar (1 tsp) and again mix until just incorporated.
- Add the flour (300g, self-raising, sifted together with 1 1/2 tsp baking powder) and milk (100ml) in alternating doses, ending with the milk.
- Add grated orange rind (2 tbsp) and freshly squeezed orange juice (60ml). Mix briefly, until just combined.
- Spoon this mixture into the prepared muffin pan, filling up to three quarters of the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15- 20 mins or until skewer comes out clean. Enjoy!