- 2 medium sized butternuts
- 1 tbsp margarine (or butter depending on preference)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 60ml fresh milk
- Pinch of salt
You may recall that nhopi used to be a hit for many people during school days.
You could for sure count on your mother or mbuya getting some really nice nhopi prepared for your early morning indulgence or anytime of the day for that matter. Oh my Oh my…good old days! According to its nutritional facts, butternut is one food that is great for the good health of your heart. It is one of those heart healthy foods. So really, you are in safe hands.
Butternuts are a great source of dietary fibre, folate and vitamin A. These aid in keeping your heart healthy. Fibre, as you may already know, works wonders for your digestive system, especially when you are constipated!
Peanut butter which is accompanying the butternut nhopi am doing today is an excellent source of protein, which among other things helps to keep you feeling fuller for longer. So you can really count on nhopi to keep young ones and even yourself fuller for some hours to come. Our mothers knew the trick! 🙂
You may count on the dairy milk added to the nhopi preparation to supply some calcium which is good for your child’s bones and teeth (and even yourself). So when you indulge in this snack/meal, if your body and heart could speak, they would thank you for it!! Bon Appetite.
1. Gather the ingredients together and get ready to start.
2. Wash butternuts (2 medium sized butternuts) and peel then wash butternuts again.
3. Cut, de-seed and cut the butternut into rough chunks.
4. Put butternut chunks into pot, add water and sugar (2 tbsp brown granulated sugar).
5. Add pinch of salt, cover and cook for 20 minutes. or until they’re soft and easy to pierce using a fork, mash butternut then add margarine (1 tbsp) or butter.
6. Pour milk (60 ml) and mash. Add peanut butter (2 tbsp) and mash.
7. Your nhopi is ready!
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
Let me know how it goes in your kitchen. Come and drop me a comment below!