- 1 x 400 g packet Star Pasta Spaghetti
- 1 x 425 g tin Royal Ocean Pilchards
- 2 litres boiling water
- 30 ml cooking oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1.2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup, grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 250 g mixed vegetables
- Large pot
- Frying pan
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Baking Tray
- Heavy duty foil paper (optional)
- Wide plate
- Get your ingredients together. These include; 1 x 400 g packet Star Pasta Spaghetti
1 x 425 g tin Royal Ocean Pilchards
2 litres boiling water
30 ml cooking oil
2 tsp salt
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1.2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 1/2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup, grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
250 g mixed vegetables
- Add the Star spaghetti to the pot with boiling water, 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp oil. Boil, stirring regularly for 10-12 min, or until the spaghetti is tender. Take care not to over-cook.
- When the spaghetti is cooked, drain in colander and rinse under running water . Return to pot and add another 2 tbsp of oil. This is so that our pasta doesn’t stick together. Set the spaghetti aside.
- Take the pilchards and separate them from the sauce. Put flour in the wide plate and add the grated cheese. Break the egg into a bowl and lightly beat it. Line the oven tray with the heavy duty foil paper and lightly grease it with some oil. Preheat oven to bake, 180 degrees Celsius.
- Dip one of the pilchards into the egg then roll it in the flour and cheese mixture. Place on lined oven tray. Repeat process until the pilchards are finished. Bake in preheat oven for 15 min or until the pilchards are golden brown. Flip them over half way through the cooking time, to allow the other side to get cooked.
- As the pilchards are baking in the oven, prepare your sauce for the spaghetti. Put 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add freshly chopped garlic as well as garlic and herb seasoning. Place on medium-low heat. Cook for 5 min, stirring regularly. This is so that your oil can have a nice garlic and herb taste to it, thus flavouring the rest of the dish.
- After 5 min, add the onion and curry powder. Fry for 2 min. Add tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook for 3 min. Add the sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and remaining tomato sauce from the pilchards. Cook for another 5 min or until the tomatoes are cooked through. Again, stirring occasionally. Taste seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Take the set aside spaghetti and add to the pan with sauce. Coat the spaghetti well with the sauce.
- Prepare your mixed vegetables in your preferred manner. Here I just steamed them and seasoned with 1/2 tsp salt. Remember to serve your meal with a lemon wedge which will heighten the flavour of your pilchards. Garnish as you wish, here I used parsley. Enjoy!