- 180g (1 1/4 cup) mealie-meal (cornmeal)
- 170g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 250ml butter/sour milk
- 100g sugar
- 90ml pure vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas Mark 5. Get all your ingredients ready and put your buttermilk/sour milk (250ml) in a jug. Add the oil (90 ml) and the egg (1 egg) to the sour milk, whisk and set aside.
- Take a bowl and sift mealie-meal (cornmeal) (180g/ 1 1/4 cup), plain flour (170g/ 1 1/2 cup), baking powder (1 tsp), bicarbonate of soda (1/2 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp) into it. Add sugar (100g) and stir.
- Make a well, take set aside sour milk, egg and oil mixture and pour it into bowl with dry ingredients. Mix well until combined. Your batter is ready, get your baking tin ready.
- Grease your baking tin and dust it with some flour. Pour your mupotohayi batter into the tin and bake for about 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted.
Pictorial Detailed Instructions
This is best served close to hot (that’s my preference!). It can however still be served cold. Store in an airtight container. Why don’t you give it a go and let me know how it went. A warm invitation to joining my regular mailing list – ZimboKitchen Today. I send updates of new recipe son the blog via this mailing list. Join in here so you never miss a recipe even when you are unable to check-in on the site.