- 200 g Topside steak (super), julienned
- 300 g Kidney, julienned
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- A sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 medium red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 4 tbsp sweetcorn
- 3 tbsp oil
Steak and kidney
pie, no, stir-fry! Just about everyone is used to seeing pie at the end of the combination of steak and kidney. Well, we just changed things a little here and made a stir-fry instead and served it with par-boiled rice and white sauce and my oh my.. it was indeed delish! The whole family enjoyed the meal. You can also serve it with your preferred starch which can be potatoes, pasta or sadza even. The meat and vegetables (save for the sweetcorn of course) in this recipe are julienned. To julienne is to cut meat or vegetables into short, thin strips. Also note that on the peppers you could also use pimentos which are suitable sweet pepper alternatives.
- Chopping Board
- Sharp knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Frying pan/ Wok
- As always, get your ingredients together. These include; 200 g Topside steak (super), julienned
300 g Kidney, julienned
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp salt
A sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 medium green pepper, julienned
1 medium yellow pepper, julienned
1 medium red pepper, julienned
1 medium carrot, julienned
4 tbsp sweetcorn
3 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in pan. Add the steak, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper. Fry for about 5-6 min or until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Take the kidney and add it to the same pan, together with 1/2 tsp salt. Fry for 5 min. Add vinegar and fry for a further 5-10 min, stirring occasionally.
- When cooked through, remove from pan and add to the same plate with the steak and set aside.
- Again, using the same pan, add the carrots, peppers and 1/4 tsp salt. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Return the fried steak and kidney to the pan. Add the sweetcorn and soy sauce and fry for 5 min, stirring occasionally, allowing the flavours to mingle. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Enjoy!