Zviyo and Custard Rock Buns
These tea time, any time treats are absolutely delicious! You have got to try them! Don’t get hung of preparing sadza only with Zviyo (Finger Millet). There’s more you can do with it to enjoy this highly nutritious grain, beginning with these rock buns!
Make sure you use zviyo that is grit free if you want to enjoy these. To achieve that, I used the sand free and stone free zviyo from The Grain Hub, and my oh my!
Enjoy with a cuppa, or a beverage of your liking. This can also be great for the lunchbox.
15 – 20 minutes
½ cup castor sugar
1 ½ cups Self-Raising Flour
½ cup The Grain Hub Zviyo (Finger Millet)
½ cup custard powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup raisins, chopped
1 ½ tsp heaped butter/ margarine
1 cup milk maas
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Get your ingredients together. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line your baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- Put sugar and salt in mixing bowl. Sift Self-Raising Flour, custard and baking powder into the same bowl. Add the zviyo and whisk until evenly incorporated.
- Rub in the butter/margarine until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the raisins. Again mix until evenly incorporated.
- Make a well in the middle, add the lightly beaten egg, milk and vanilla essence.
Gently mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix as this will result in tough textured rock buns.
- Take set aside lined baking sheet and drop spoonfuls of the rock bun batter on to the tray spacing them about 2 cm apart. Bake in preheat oven for 15-20 min or until golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar if you wish. Enjoy!